Nyssa is a lawyer, writer, mentor, humanitarian, world traveler, global citizen, hotel aficionado, founder of the award-winning travel website, The Cultureur, and founder of the biweekly newsletter for law students and lawyers, Mentor in Law. Currently, she is a tech lawyer at Microsoft.
An eternal practical optimist, Nyssa is a vocal champion of diversity, equity, and inclusion (particularly amplifying the voices of women and minorities); a passionate advocate of pro bono work; a connector of ideas and people; and a lifelong learner of emotional intelligence, relationship building, inclusive leadership, and impactful mentorship.
Originally from Southern California, Nyssa has lived, studied, and worked around the world—Paris, Los Angeles, Orange County, New Delhi, London, San Diego, Seattle, Berlin, with briefer stints in Marburg, Mussoorie, and Reykjavik—and traveled to 50+ countries.
Prior to law school, she:
- spent a few years in diplomacy and human rights at U.S. Embassies in New Delhi, Paris, and London through the U.S. Department of State;
- freelanced as a travel writer around the world;
- worked as a social media and marketing consultant for luxury hospitality and travel brands through The Cultureur (how to market to millennials, how to leverage social media, created/hosted a travel chat on Twitter #SeeTheWorld, etc.);
- volunteered for the Obama for America campaign and at several NGOs and nonprofits related to education and women’s empowerment; and
- co-founded a health and wellness company.
Additionally, she was a Fulbright Scholar in Germany and received a B.A. from the University of California, San Diego, an MSc from the London School of Economics, and a J.D. from the University of Washington.
LAW — I started a biweekly newsletter (Mentor in Law) for law students and lawyers about everything law school doesn’t teach you. I often receive requests for coffee, phone calls, and/or mentorship from law students and lawyers. In speaking to so many law students and drawing from my own law school experience, I realized there is so much law schools don’t teach you about the practice of law and being a lawyer in general. I wish I had sought out a mentor in law much earlier to help guide me through OCI, interviews, jobs, networking, and general lawyering, so I hope this information bridges that information gap for others. Sign up and learn more here.
TRAVEL — Often consulted for my thoughts about travel and tourism trends, sustainability, and the changing landscape of luxury travel, I have been featured in AFAR Magazine, TripAdvisor, Orbitz, India Today, Travel Time Magazine, The Address Magazine, USA Today, among others. Check out The Cultureur — it’s luxury travel and local culture for the modern global citizen.
- Bachelor of Arts (BA), University of California San Diego (UCSD)
- Master of Science (MSc), London School of Economics (LSE)
- Doctor of Law (JD), University of Washington School of Law
- Fulbright Scholar, U.S. Department of State, Journalism, Germany
- FLAS Fellow, U.S. Department of Education, French
- Digital Media Marketing, New York University
- Holistic Nutrition, Cornell University
- The Marketing Seminar, Seth Godin
- TRAVEL: USA Today, AFAR Magazine, Huffington Post, The Address Magazine, India Today, Travel Time Magazine, Orbitz, TripAdvisor, and more
- LEGAL: Technology and Marketing Law Blog, ABA Trademark Newsletter, Microsoft on the Issues
- Spoken on several panels: trademark law, technology and diplomacy, mentoring, networking, diversity and inclusion in the law, women in the law
- Fireside Chat with Karuna Nundy at Microsoft (July 10, 2020) on protecting human rights in the digital age and the importance of pro bono work
- Mentor in Law Webinars:
- How to Master LinkedIn for Law Students and Lawyers (September 22, 2020) with Chloe Rowshani, LinkedIn
- Networking for Introverts for Law Students and Lawyers (October 20, 2020) with Karen Wickre, Author of Taking the Work Out of Networking
- Career Pathways for LLM Students (November 12, 2020)
- Firm vs. In-House: How to Find Your First In-House Job and Pros/Cons of Both (December 3, 2020)
- Microsoft Agile Mentoring Program, LCLD Mentoring Program, The Legal Forecast Connect Australia, Project W at DWT, SABA, Minds Matter Seattle, UW Alumni Mentors, among others (Mentor)
- Seattle Clemency Project (Volunteer Attorney)
- UW Law x Microsoft Networking Event (Creator/Organizer)
- Washington Lawyers for the Arts (Former Board Member)
- NGO Manzil, Delhi (English Teacher)
- NGO Asha Niwas, Delhi (Volunteer/Organizer of 3-day music festival fundraiser)
- Hospitality and Travel Law Symposium (Creator/Organizer)