Nyssa is a lawyer, writer, mentor, humanitarian, world traveler, global citizen, hotel aficionado, founder of the award-winning travel website, The Cultureur, and founder of the biweekly newsletter for law students and lawyers, Mentor in Law. Currently, she is a tech lawyer at Microsoft.
An eternal practical optimist, Nyssa is a vocal champion of diversity, equity, and inclusion (particularly amplifying the voices of women and minorities); a passionate advocate of pro bono work and giving back to the community; a hopeful proponent of tech as a force for good; a constant connector of ideas and people; a fierce supporter of impactful mentorship and paying it forward; and a lifelong learner of emotional intelligence, relationship building, and inclusive leadership.
Originally from Southern California, Nyssa has lived, studied, and worked around the world—Paris, Los Angeles, Orange County, New Delhi, London, San Diego, Seattle, Berlin, with briefer stints in Marburg, Mussoorie, and Reykjavik—and traveled to 50+ countries.
Prior to law school, she:
- spent a few years in diplomacy and human rights at U.S. Embassies in New Delhi, Paris, and London through the U.S. Department of State (including the U.S. Mission to UNESCO);
- freelanced as a travel writer around the world;
- worked as a social media and marketing consultant for luxury hospitality and travel brands through The Cultureur (how to market to millennials, how to leverage social media, created/hosted a travel chat on Twitter #SeeTheWorld, etc.);
- volunteered for the Obama for America campaign and at several NGOs and nonprofits related to education and women’s empowerment; and
- co-founded a health and wellness company.
Additionally, she was a Fulbright Scholar in Germany and received a B.A. from the University of California, San Diego, an MSc from the London School of Economics, and a J.D. from the University of Washington.
- Bachelor of Arts (BA), University of California San Diego (UCSD)
- Master of Science (MSc), London School of Economics (LSE)
- Doctor of Law (JD), University of Washington School of Law
- Fulbright Scholar, U.S. Department of State, Journalism, Germany
- FLAS Fellow, U.S. Department of Education, French
- Digital Media Marketing, New York University
- Holistic Nutrition, Cornell University
- The Marketing Seminar, Seth Godin
- TRAVEL: USA Today, AFAR Magazine, Huffington Post, The Address Magazine, India Today, Travel Time Magazine, Orbitz, TripAdvisor, and more
- LEGAL: Technology and Marketing Law Blog, ABA Trademark Newsletter, Microsoft on the Issues
- Spoken on several panels: IP/trademark law, technology and diplomacy, pro bono, mentoring, networking, diversity and inclusion in the law, women in the law
- Fireside Chat with Karuna Nundy at Microsoft (July 10, 2020) on protecting human rights in the digital age and the importance of pro bono work
- Mentor in Law Webinars:
- How to Master LinkedIn for Law Students and Lawyers (September 22, 2020) with Chloe Rowshani, LinkedIn
- Networking for Introverts for Law Students and Lawyers (October 20, 2020) with Karen Wickre, Author of Taking the Work Out of Networking
- Career Pathways for LLM Students (November 12, 2020)
- Firm vs. In-House: How to Find Your First In-House Job and Pros/Cons of Both (December 3, 2020)
- First-Generation Law Student Experiences (January 22, 2021)
- Microsoft Agile Mentoring Program, LCLD Mentoring Program, The Legal Forecast Connect Australia, Project W at DWT, SABA, Minds Matter Seattle, UW Alumni Mentors, among others (Mentor)
- Legal Services Corporation (Emerging Council Member)
- Seattle Clemency Project (Volunteer Attorney)
- UW Law x Microsoft Networking Event (Creator/Organizer)
- Washington Lawyers for the Arts (Former Board Member)
- NGO Manzil, Delhi (English Teacher)
- NGO Asha Niwas, Delhi (Volunteer/Organizer of 3-day music festival fundraiser)
- Hospitality and Travel Law Symposium (Creator/Organizer)