Nyssa is a lawyer, journalist, humanitarian, and founder of the award-winning travel website, The Cultureur
Originally from Southern California, Nyssa has lived, studied, worked, and volunteered around the world—Paris, Los Angeles, Orange County, New Delhi, London, San Diego, Seattle, Berlin, with briefer stints in Marburg, Mussoorie, and Reykjavik—and traveled to 50+ others.
TRAVEL — Often consulted for her thoughts about travel and tourism trends and the changing landscape of luxury hotels, she has been featured in AFAR Magazine, TripAdvisor, Orbitz, India Today, Travel Time Magazine, The Address Magazine, USA Today, among others.
LAW — Connecting her passion for branding, her interest in innovation, and her expertise in the law, Nyssa founded La Marque Law to bridge the gap between the business and legal verticals and to provide insight on how the law intersects with branding, focusing on intellectual property, privacy, marketing, and advertising. To complement her legal education, she worked at the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) on advertising, social media, and influencer marketing cases; at Microsoft on the privacy team; and at various startups as a legal and marketing advisor.
Prior to law school, she spent some years in diplomacy and international development at the U.S. Department of State. Additionally, she was a Fulbright Scholar in Germany and received a B.A. from the University of California, San Diego, an MSc from the London School of Economics, and a J.D. from the University of Washington.
- Bachelor of Arts (BA), University of California San Diego (UCSD)
- Master of Science (MSc), London School of Economics (LSE)
- Doctor of Law (JD), University of Washington
- Fulbright Scholar, U.S. Department of State, Journalism, Germany
- FLAS Fellow, U.S. Department of Education, French
- CIPP/US and CIPP/E (in progress)
- Level 1, Court of Sommeliers (in progress)
- Digital Media Marketing, New York University
- The Marketing Seminar, Seth Godin
- TRAVEL: USA Today, AFAR Magazine, Huffington Post, The Address Magazine, India Today, Travel Time Magazine, Orbitz, TripAdvisor, and more
- LEGAL: Technology and Marketing Law Blog, WIPO Magazine (under review)
- Advisor, Law School Transparency
- ECPAT USA
- Lender, Kiva
- Creator/Organizer, Hospitality and Travel Law Symposium