Nyssa is a journalist, lawyer, and founder of the award-winning travel website, The Cultureur.
Originally from Southern California, Nyssa has lived, studied, and worked around the world, calling Paris, Orange County, Seattle, Los Angeles, San Diego, New Delhi, London, and Berlin home.
TRAVEL — Often consulted for her thoughts about travel and tourism trends and the changing landscape of luxury hotels, she has been featured in AFAR Magazine, TripAdvisor, Orbitz, India Today, Travel Time Magazine, The Address Magazine, USA Today, among others. In addition, in an effort to push for responsible travel, she’s exploring the intersection of luxury travel and sustainable tourism and ways in which the global hospitality and travel industry can coordinate initiatives with private advocacy groups and governments to combat human trafficking. Since 2013, she has worked as a marketing and branding consultant for hospitality and travel clients worldwide, providing insight on branding, social media strategy, verbal branding, digital content marketing, luxury travel trends, sustainable luxury tourism, and Millennial marketing strategies. Some of the brands in her portfolio include Emirates Airlines, the Ritz-Carlton Hotels, Go Do Iceland, Visit Detroit, and many other destination marketing organizations, airlines, and luxury hotels.
LAW — Connecting her passion for travel and hospitality, her interest in innovation, and her expertise in the law, Nyssa founded La Marque Law to bridge the gap between the business and legal verticals and to provide insight on how the law intersects with branding, focusing on intellectual property, privacy, marketing, and advertising. To complement her legal education, she worked at the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) on advertising, social media, and influencer marketing cases, at Microsoft on the privacy team, and at various startups as a legal and marketing advisor.
Prior to law school, she spent some years in diplomacy and international development at the U.S. Department of State and the Clinton Foundation. Additionally, she was a Fulbright Scholar in Germany and received a B.A. from the University of California, San Diego and an MSc from the London School of Economics.
- Bachelor of Arts (BA), University of California San Diego (UCSD)
- Master of Science (MSc), London School of Economics (LSE)
- Doctor of Law (JD), University of Washington
- Fulbright Scholar, U.S. Department of State, Journalism, Germany
- FLAS Fellow, U.S. Department of Education, French
- CIPP/US and CIPP/E (in progress)
- Level 1, Court of Sommeliers (in progress)
- Digital Media Marketing, New York University
- The Marketing Seminar, Seth Godin
- TRAVEL: USA Today, AFAR Magazine, Huffington Post, The Address Magazine, India Today, Travel Time Magazine, Orbitz, TripAdvisor, and more
- LEGAL: Technology and Marketing Law Blog, WIPO Magazine (under review)
- Advisor, Law School Transparency
- ECPAT USA
- Lender, Kiva
- Creator/Organizer, Hospitality and Travel Law Symposium